Click > High Capacity Canadian Export Grain Elevator to view / download a pdf of this project summary.
EDG, Inc. provided Owner’s Engineer services to G3TV during the construction, start-up, and commissioning of the new grain export facility in North Vancouver, British Columbia. The overall project was executed by Contractor on a design-build basis.
EDG was able to provide the specialized project staff to support G3TV’s interests throughout the project. In addition to a core group of seven (7) Technical Field Staff on-site and one (1) Project Controls Specialist in Metairie, EDG was able to provide structural, mechanical, electrical, marine, grain handling, and process safety specialists as necessary to support the project.
G3TV Grain Export Vancouver, B.C.
- EDG’s Scheduling and Cost Control Specialists successfully helped ensure the project was completed on time and within budget
- Our site project management group excelled as the Owner’s interface with Contractor. The team did a great job maintaining consistency and quality in the constructed facility, as well as maintaining a productive and collaborative working relationship between G3TV and the Contractor throughout the project
- EDG’s grain export operations expertise was critical to our ability to provide HAZOP support, Dust Hazard Analysis support, and development of detailed staff training documents
- The EDG team identified the lack of a formal safety review and conducted a HAZOP review that included EDG, the Contractor, and G3TV personnel in June 2018 that resulted in several important system safety improvements
- EDG also identified the regulatory need for a Dust Hazard Analysis and supported the development of this through a semi-retired Bunge grain dust specialist
- EDG developed and managed the procurement and installation of several projects that were outside of the scope of the original Contractor’s contract which included:
- Full automation of the rail switching and control systems
- Remote operation of locomotives on the site
- Fitting out the Canadian Grain Commission office and grain analysis area
- Fitting out the G3 grain grading office
- Installation of analysis area dust ventilation units
- EDG’s structural engineers supported the development of a modification to the ship loader structural steel due to an unexpected structural deflection issue
- Project Controls
- Structural Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Marine Structural Engineering
- Process Safety Facilitating
Timeline & Budget:
The project was completed on schedule. The original date for Substantial Completion defined in the 2016 contract between the Contractor and G3TV was met in July 2020, despite the challenges of Vancouver weather and the COVID-19 pandemic.
EDG’s work performed came in under budget each of the three (3) years under contract with G3TV.
Contact us for more information: https://www.edg.net/contact/