Determination: Overcoming Obstacles in Order to Reach My Goal
5 Keys to Building Determination
1. Set Goals - You show determination not only by climbing but also by climbing the right mountain. Consider what will matter twenty or thirty years from now, discern what character qualities apply in each situation, and keep these values in mind so that you can set priorities and choose immediate objectives.
2. Get Moving - The best thing about a good plan is its execution. Adopt priorities consistent with your larger purposes and goals, and take the next step in the right direction. When it seems to take all your strength just to roll out of bed, do it—it makes getting dressed easier.
3. Deal with Distractions - Distractions come in many shapes and sizes, including physical discomfort, a noisy environment, or mental fatigue. Urgent needs, worthy causes, and well-meaning friends clamor for your attention. Prioritize tasks, learn to say “no” in order to honor your most important responsibilities, and refocus your efforts so that you can fulfill your obligations on time.
4. Face Challenges - You overcome only the challenges you face. Escaping or hiding does not make obstacles disappear. Do not lose hope when you know you are doing the right thing. Sacrifices are choices you make in order to secure something more valuable.
5. Change Tactics - A worthwhile purpose is worthwhile, even if the circumstances require you to try a new method. If one plan fails, remember your original purpose, and find another way to accomplish the goal. If you cannot see a solution, step back, and find someone who can broaden your perspective.
“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”― Vince Lombardi Jr.
Follow EDG on social media: